Head of Nuclear Safety H/F|
Entreprise : Fusion for Energy
Contrat : CDI
Lieu : International
Expérience : Plus de 10 ans
F4E, a European Union Joint Undertaking, headquartered in Barcelona, specifies and manages the production of the European contribution (45%) to ITER. This research fusion reactor being built in Cadarache, France, will be a major leap towards clean and sustainable generation of abundant base load energy, complementing renewables.
ITER is one of the largest construction projects in Europe and the world’s largest scientific partnership. ITER brings together seven parties that represent half of the world’s population – the EU, Russia, Japan, China, India, South Korea and the United States.
To find out more about F4E, visit us at https://f4e.europa.eu/
Head of Nuclear Safety H/F / Responsable Sureté Nucléaire H/F
Fusion for Energy (or F4E) is looking for a highly motivated and experienced manager to lead the Nuclear Safety Unit.
Are you a passionate professional with proven experience in the area of Nuclear Safety? Would you be excited to work on a multi-billion euro development project? Do you want a challenge?
The Nuclear Safety Unit will play a key role supporting F4E’s contribution to the largest nuclear fusion reactor in the world.
Leadership, the ability to work at strategic level within a management team, and a conviction of the importance of nuclear safety are key traits of the successful candidate.
Several hundred European suppliers are currently under contract to F4E, designing and manufacturing complex first-of-a-kind components, with an annual expenditure of the order of €7-800M per year. A significant number of these are responsible for components which require the very highest quality standards to ensure the safe operation of the ITER machine.
The Head of Nuclear Safety will be responsible for providing an adequate confidence to F4E management, the ITER International Organisation (IO), the F4E Governing Board and the wider public that the various F4E projects and suppliers comply with the applicable nuclear safety requirements, including requirements derived from safety analysis and French nuclear regulation. This will require a close collaboration with IO, as the Nuclear Operator, and with the various F4E project teams.
The Unit will also play a leading role in the continuous improvement of the nuclear safety culture both within F4E and within the supply chain.
The role and responsibility of head of unit shall include but is not limited to:
- Issue guidelines for policies and actions to his unit on the basis of the mission statement, strategic plan and annual management/work programme of the Agency and unit. He/she shall define the unit work programme, coordinate work within the unit and with other units and represent the unit at important meetings;
- Be the main channel for the exchange of information between senior management and the unit’s members;
- Be directly responsible for the line management of the human resources of the unit including the leadership, motivation and selection of staff.
This is an important leadership role, and the Head of Nuclear Safety is expected to be a role model in nuclear safety management both towards his/her team, and towards the F4E project teams.
The Head of Nuclear Safety will report to the Head of the Project Management Department.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES :
The successful candidate will:
- Manage and lead the team of approx. 6 Nuclear Safety Managers:
- Through a matrix organisational model, ensure deployment to support the project teams in accordance with the relative priorities, and project phases
- Ensure the competence of the NS Unit by means of training and other personal development means
- Recruit, where necessary, additional NS Managers
- Manage any external contracts or consultancies in the field of nuclear safety;
- Implement, promote, monitor and permanently improve a strong nuclear safety culture in F4E;
- Regularly organise trainings in the field of nuclear safety for F4E Staff and F4E suppliers;
- Through the NS Unit:
- Oversee the implementation of all nuclear safety requirements both by F4E and by its suppliers
- Assess and verify the regulatory compliance of nuclear safety aspects and of any activity under IO control and conduct on-site inspections as necessary
- Check that the nuclear safety requirements and the corresponding regulations are dutifully applied in all F4E activities and adequately transmitted within the F4E supply chains
- Support the writing and review of F4E technical documentation from a nuclear safety perspective
- Review supplier generated documents from a nuclear safety perspective
- Provide support in all aspects of CE Marking compliance
- Provide support in the area of Explosion Protection (ATEX).
WHAT CAN WE OFFER YOU ?
Life in Barcelona
Barcelona offers professionals and families a high quality of life. It enjoys an average temperature of 18°C throughout the year and complements its cosmopolitan lifestyle and vibrant cultural life with the nature of the Mediterranean coastline and the Pyrenees mountain range.
The city is strategically located between the sea and the mountains and is served by an international airport. Barcelona is a Mediterranean and cosmopolitan city with Roman remains, medieval quarters and the most beautiful examples of 20th century Modernism and avant-garde.
Life in Cadarache
Cadarache is the site of the largest technological research and development center for energy in Europe including CEA research activities and ITER. Located in the French region of Provence, Cadarache is about 40 km from Aix-en-Provence and 60 km from Marseille. The South of France is blessed with a very privileged living environment and a mild and sunny climate. Cadarache is located between the Southern Alps and the Mediterranean and offers every conceivable sporting, leisure and cultural opportunity.
Salary and benefits
As an indication, the basic monthly salary, for grade AD9 (step 1) is currently approx. €8,000. In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, in particular a household allowance, expatriation allowance (16% of basic salary and household allowance), dependent child allowance and education allowance.
The salaries of temporary agents are subject to a community tax deducted at source and are exempt from national taxation.
Where the successful candidate needs to relocate, F4E would normally reimburse removal expenses.
F4E has agreements with a wide range of international schools to support access to schooling for the children of F4E staff.
For further information on remuneration, please visit the dedicated page on https://f4e.europa.eu/careers/
F4E makes every effort to develop the competences of its staff in order to actively and significantly contribute to the achievement of its goals as well as to enhance their career prospects.
F4E enables staff members to reconcile family and professional life by offering flexible work arrangements and teleworking.
F4E staff members enjoy a basic entitlement of 24 days of annual leave as well as +/- 19 statutory public holidays per annum. Additional leave days may be granted for age and distance from the place of origin. Special leave is granted for certain circumstances such as marriage, birth or adoption of a child, death of a close relative etc.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION REQUIREMENTS?
A. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
A1. General requirements
The candidate must:
- Be a citizen of one of the Member States of the European Union or of a Third state fully associated with the Euratom fusion programme (Switzerland).
- Enjoy his/her full rights as a citizen.
- Have fulfilled the obligations imposed on him/her by the laws of their home country concerning military service.
- Produces the appropriate character references as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties.
- Be physically fit to perform their duties.
A2. Education / Experience
On the closing date for registration, the candidate must have:
At least a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is four years or more and, after having obtained the university degree, at least 12 years of proven professional experience, of which at least two years should have been acquired as a manager;
At least a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is three years and, after having obtained the university degree, at least 13 years of proven professional experience, of which at least two years should have been acquired as a manager.
A3. Language Skills
The candidate must produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the European Union and of a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of his duties. One of the two languages must be English.
B. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
B1 Essential Selection Criteria
- A university degree in mechanical, electrical or nuclear engineering, or in a similar subject;
- At least 10 years of professional experience in key positions related to nuclear safety of nuclear plant projects, including compliance assessment, acceptance dossiers and examination by a recognised Nuclear Safety Authority;
- Thorough knowledge and experience in application of French regulations applicable to nuclear facilities, especially the INB Order of 2012, the Code of Environment, the ICPE rules, etc.;
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated experience in construction of a nuclear facility [e.g. reactor, hotcell, fuel enrichment facility, rad waste processing] and related authorisation processes;
- Experience in assessment of compliance with nuclear regulation, review of safety reports, safety instruction, etc.;
- At least 3 years’ management experience in leading a team, such as objective setting and follow up and performance management.
B2 Advantageous Selection Criteria
In addition to the above, the following criteria will be taken into account:
- Knowledge of EU policies, languages, legislation and programmes, particularly those relevant to the post in question;
- Experience in manufacturing and testing activities, especially in high technology development environment;
- Knowledge of engineering processes for complex systems;
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in construction codes and standard practices applied in the French nuclear industry;
- Experience in site inspections and/or quality control inspectors management for complex manufacturing operations;
- Experience in a Quality Control and final acceptance tests in nuclear environment;
- Working experience in European or international environment;
- Good command of oral and written French.
B3 Management Skills
As part of the selection process, shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend a management assessment centre. The following competences will be assessed :
- Ability to motivate, coach and develop others;
- Ability to create and share vision;
- Ability to foster teamwork and collaborations;
- Ability to delegate, establish objectives and monitor follow-up of activities;
- Ability to communicate clearly and present complex subjects simply, both orally and in writing, including to the members of the team;
- Ability to solicit inputs from and listen to staff, partners, and stakeholders;
- Ability to deal with people effectively, respectfully and courteously;
- Ability to build productive and cooperative working relationships with hierarchy and other units and colleagues;
- Ability to steer discussions and generate the best possible results without compromising productive working relationships with the other parties involved.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
The online application process starts upon clicking on the “APPLY” button.
Applicants must register their applications online through the F4E E-recruitment tool by creating a valid F4E user account and submitting the documents mentioned below.
Please note that the online e-recruitment application tool is the only acceptable means of sending in job applications. Applicants are responsible for keeping their e-mail addresses and personal details up to date in their profile in F4E online application tool.
The mandatory fields in the profile marked with an asterisk should be duly filled in and the candidates are requested to submit the following 2 documents:
- A detailed Europass Curriculum Vitae in English (can be obtained at the following address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae)
- A motivation letter of 2 pages maximum in English
Applications must be complete and validly submitted by the closing date for submission of applications no later than 28/02/2020 at 12h00 noon Barcelona time.
F4E is an equal opportunities employer and takes care to avoid any form of discrimination. As part of its commitment to diversity, gender equality and geographical distribution, F4E strongly encourages applications from female candidates and applies a policy of equal opportunities. It does not discriminate against anyone on grounds of gender, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability or sexual orientation. F4E offers measures to reconcile professional and private life and will provide reasonable adjustments at the workplace for persons with disabilities.
‘Fusion for Energy’ as the body responsible for organizing the selection process, will ensure that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC Text with EEA relevance. This applies in particular to the confidentiality and security of such data. Personal data shall be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Applicants have the right to access and rectify their data. To update your CV and/or Motivation Letter and rectify any incorrect or inaccurate data, please login into your e-recruitment profile before the deadline for submission of the applications elapses.
After the deadline for applications has elapsed, this right will be limited to the rectification of identification details and contact information only.
In case you encounter technical problems when trying to submit your application via the eRecruitment tool, please make a screenshot and send it to:http://mailto:email@example.com
It is the responsibility of the applicant to inform F4E about any technical problem without delay within the deadline mentioned above.
Please, do not send any supporting documents (i.e.: copies of your ID-card, educational certificates, evidence of previous professional experience etc.) with your application at this stage if not specified in the Vacancy Notice.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Successful candidates will be placed on a Reserve List, and one of the candidates thereon may be offered this position. The candidate(s) placed on the reserve list may be recruited in the grade AD9 on a contract with an initial duration of five years, with possibility of renewal. The established reserve list may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade for the same or different durations, depending on business needs and budgetary availability, and at any of the F4E working locations.
The number of successful candidates sought for this reserve list is four.
Candidates should note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
The validity of the reserve list is 31/12/2021 but this can be extended.
The probationary period is 9 months.
For more information on the selection process of Temporary Agents and on the contractual and working conditions, please, refer to the Guide for applicants (https://fusionforenergy.europa.eu/careers/Documents/Annex to the VN.pdf) published on the F4E website along with this Vacancy Notice and the Conditions of employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1962R0031:20140101:EN:PDF)